Frequently Asked Questions
What is copywriting?
In short, copywriting is the art of writing words that sell. And let’s face it, we all want to sell!
Maybe you’re selling a product. Maybe you’re selling an idea. Maybe you’re selling your brand. Whatever it is, ultimately we’re all trying to sell.
What does a copywriter do?
A copywriter writes engaging and persuasive content that drives your desired action (e.g. have a prospect call you for a quote or get newsletter sign-ups via your website, etc.).
A copywriter can write for your website, blog posts, search engine optimised (SEO) copy, sales and marketing material, advertising, and social media.
A copywriter takes a detailed brief so they can write on any topic, for any industry. Some copywriters specialise in a particular niche – for example, finance or health. Whilst others are ‘jack-of-all-trades’ and cover a wide variety of topics.
What’s the copywriting process?
For tailored copywriting services:
1. You contact me, we’ll have a quick chat about your copywriting needs, and I’ll give you a proposal.
2. Once you accept the copywriting proposal and pay your 50% deposit, we talk through your Project Brief. You approve the Brief, and then I get to work on the writing.
3. Depending on the size of the project, I usually send you a paragraph or one page for you to check the tone and style. This helps ensure we’re on the right track early on.
4. We have two rounds of revisions. So all up you’ll see three versions (not including what you see at step 3). The 1st draft, 2nd draft, and the awesome final version!
5. After you approve the final draft, we finalise the project, and you pay the final invoice.
What if you need more than two rounds of revisions?
No worries! Any extra rounds of revisions will be charged at my hourly rate.
But don’t sweat it! At every step of the project, YOU approve the information I have and the direction of your copywriting project. So in most cases we will nail it with two rounds of revisions. And if not, then we should be pretty jolly close by that stage (so your costs won’t blow out).
How much does copywriting cost?
Give me a call and I can give you a ballpark figure for your project.
But, the final cost for your copywriting depends on:
- What you need written (e.g. website, email campaign, brochure etc.)
- How much writing you need (number of pages/pieces and how many words per page/piece)
- Amount of research required
- How detailed your brief and background materials are
- Whether your job is a one-off project or ongoing
Who do you work with?
Mostly I work with solopreneurs, creatives, and small-medium businesses. I’m passionate about helping these businesses harness and maximise their online opportunities (with more engaging and compelling copywriting).
Sometimes I also work with large corporates (specifically financial services companies). Because of my previous career in that world, I speak the language.
Can I hire you for regular jobs?
You can hire me for regular copywriting jobs including blog posts, email newsletters, and social media posts.
I offer a retainer agreement for long-term work.
Maybe there’s something else you’d like me to write on an ongoing basis? Get in touch so we can discuss your requirements.
Can you help me with copyright?
Nope. A copywriter is a writer who writes words that sell.
Copyright is a legal right for the author or creator of work(s). Copyright gives them ownership rights relating to the reproduction and distribution of the original work.
You’re gonna need a lawyer to help with any questions you have about copyright.
Check out the Australian Copyright Council for more info.
Have more questions?
Get in touch.
Phone: +61 418 975 410